IgniTech Logo

IgniTech Logo
Vinoth

Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Touching Story By A Child's Father

My wife called, 'How long will u be with dt newspaper? Will u come here & make ur darling sindu eat her food?' I tossed d paper away & rushed 2 d scene. My only sindu Sindu looked frightened. 
Tears were welling up in her eyes. In front of her was a bowl filled 2 its brim with Curd Rice. Sindu is a nice child, quite intelligent for her age.She has just turned eight. She particularly detested Curd Rice. My mother & my wife r orthodox, & believe firmly in d 'cooling effects' of Curd Rice! I cleared my throat, & picked up d bowl. 
'Sindu, darling,why don't u take a few mouthful of dis Curd Rice?Just for Dad's sake, dear. 
Sindu softened a bit, & wiped her tears with d back of her hands. 'OK, Dad. I will eat - not just a few mouthfuls, but d whole lt of dis. But, u should' Sindu hesitated. 'Dad, if I eat dis entire curd Rice, will u give me whtever I ask for?'Oh sure, darling' 'Promise? '. 
'Promise'. I covered d pink soft h& extended by my sindu with mine, & clinched d deal. 
'Ask Mom also 2 give a similar promise', my sindu insisted. 
My wife put her hand on Sindu's, muttering 'Promise'. 
Now I became a bit anxious. 'Sindu dear, u shouldn't insist on getting a computer or any such expensive items.Dad does not have dt kind of money right now. OK?' 

'No, Dad. I do not want anything expensive'.Slowly & painfully, she finished eating d whole quantity. 

I was silently angry with my wife & my mother for forcing my chld eat something dt she detested. 
After d ordeal was through, Sindu came 2 me with her eyes wide with expectation. All our attention was on her 
'Dad, I want 2 have my head shaved off, dis Sunday!' was her demand. 
'Atrocious!' shouted my wife, 'A girl child having her head shaved off? Impossible!' 'Never in our family!' my mother rasped. 
Sindu darling, why don't u ask for something else? We will be sad seeing u with a clean-shaven head.' 
'No, Dad. I do not want anything else', Sindu said with finality. 
'Pls, Sindu, y don't u try 2 underst& our feelings?' I tried 2 plead with her. 
'Dad, u saw how difficult it was for me 2 eat dt Curd Rice'. 
Sindu was in tears. '& u promised 2 grant me whatever I ask 4. Now, u r going back on ur words. we should honor our promises no matter wht?' 
It was time for me 2 call d shots. 'Our promise must be kept.' 

'R u out ur mind?' chorused my mom & wife. 

'No. If we go back on our promises, she wil never learn 2 honor her own. Sindu, ur wish will be fulfilled.' 

With her head clean-shaven, Sindu had a round-face, & her eyes looked big & beautiful. 
On Mon mrning, I dropped her at her school. It was a sight 2 watch my hairless Sindu walking towards her classroom.She turned waved. I waved back with a smile. Just then, a boy alighted from a car, & shouted, 'Sindu, please wait for me!' 

What struck me was d hairless head of dt boy. 'May be, dt is d in-stuff', I thought. 

'Sir, ur sindu Sindu is great indeed!' Without introducing herself, a lady got out of d car, & continued,' Dt boy who is walking along with ur sindu is my son Harish.He is suffering from leukemia.' She paused 2 muffle her sobs. 

Harish could not attend d school for d whole of d last month.He lost all his hair due 2 d side effects of d chemotherapy. He refused 2 come back 2 school fearing d unintentional but cruel teasing of d schoolmates. 'Sindu visited him last week, & promised him dt she will take care of d teasing issue. But, I never imagined she would sacrifice her lovely hair for d sake of my son! 
Sir, u & ur wife r blessed 2 have such a noble soul as ur sindu.' 
I stood transfixed. & then, I wept. 'My little Angel, u r teaching me how self-less real love is!' 
*D happiest people on dis planet r not those who live on their own terms but r those who change their terms for d ones whom they love ..* 

Love Touch & Inspire ur FRNDS 


"Life is short, d vanities of world r transient but they alone live who live for others; d rest r more dead dn alive."

No comments:

Post a Comment